Space Syntax was commissioned by the Skanska Innisfree PFI Consortium to provide masterplanning and strategic design services for the redevelopment of Southmead Hospital in Bristol. Working with NGM Architects, we provided an evidence-based baseline study of the existing hospital and its urban context, which we then used in the development of a building layout, circulation and public realm strategy.
We employed evidence-based methodologies including the following:
– observations of pedestrian flows, user routes and stationary activities
– wayfinding studies
– visibility analysis of public spaces
– spatial accessibility analysis
– option testing and evaluation
– evidence-based design advice.
Our work informed the key issues regarding main access to the hospital campus, internal circulation and the locations of key functions. Based on the baseline study and the design assessment of the proposed scheme and the two public sector comparators, we proposed design strategy options.
Skanska Innisfree PFI consortium